top of page

Celtic v Inverness CT (Match Stats)


Celtic 3

xG 1.97

(Kyogo 38, Abada 65 and Jota 90+1)


Inverness CT 1

xG 0.10

(D Mackay 84)


Celtic's xG of 1.97 was 15% down on the season average of 2.32 which shows that despite being up against a non SPFL team it is always a big occasion at Hampden Park and nervousness can sometimes play a part.


Celtic's xGA is averaging 0.68 for the season and against Inverness it was 85% down on that at 0.10. So despite Celtic getting less shots than a normal game it was a well contained game with Inverness not posing much threat. Celtic had 16 shots in this game and 6 on target (12% down on average for both measures). Celtic had 10 shots inside the box which was 16% down on average and the Non Penalty xG per shot was 0.123. This was up on the season average of 0.118.


Typical Celtic working on making clear cut chances and producing three xG chances of 0.37, 0.43 and 0.15 for the goals scored. Kyogo's chance was a 37% chance however Post Shot it was a 61% chance, Abada's was a 43% chance but Post Shot it was an 85% chance and Jota's was a 15% chance that Post Shot was a 46% chance.

Passes at 749 were 12% up on the seasonal average but it was only 9th best for the season.


Inverness played with a low block and a narrow midfield which in turn (along with the nervousness of the occasion) meant Celtic's centre backs had most of the ball. Celtic's two centre backs played 33% of Celtic's passes. This was the 5th highest of the season behind the Ibrox 3-0 game, the two Shakhtar Donetsk games and the October home game against Motherwell. The average for the season is 29%.


Carl Starfelt made the most passes at 127 and with an accuracy of 96%. Tomoki Iwata received the most passes at 98 with 32 of them coming from Starfelt. Starfelt also had 32 passes to Taylor. The biggest individual pathway of passes was 39 from Iwata to Starfelt.


Celtic lined up with;

  • Hart

  • Johnston, Iwata, Starfelt and Taylor

  • O'Riley, McGregor and Hatate

  • Jota, Kyogo and Maeda

Just the one change from last week with Maeda coming back in for Abada.


Maeda coming back into the team following his suspension. Haksabanovic also came back into the match day squad after his injury.

Dropping out of the squad was Summers and Vata and Carter-Vickers and Mooy were still out injured.

Still omitted from the squad were Scott Bain and Yuki Kobayashi and it is very telling that both have been omitted since their poor performances versus Hibernian and neither has been reported as injured.


Abada, Oh, Turnbull, Haksabanovic and Forrest all came on as subs for Maeda, Kyogo, O'Riley, Hatate and Jota. Siegrist, Ralston, Welsh and Bernabei were the unused subs.

Best performer for xG was unsurprisingly Kyogo on 0.58 and that takes his seasonal average to 0.87 per 90 for the season (all games). Then it was Abada on 0.53 and his seasonal average ended on 0.59. However Abada also had 0.28 xA and ended his season on 0.43 xA per 90 for the season. A seasonal average of 1.02 xG & xA per 90 is an amazing stat for Liel Abada.


Others for xG in this game were Haksabanovic on 0.35, O'Riley on 0.23, Jota on 0.18, Oh on 0.09 and Maeda on 0.02.

Others for xA were McGregor on 0.65 (match highest), O'Riley 0.37, Iwata 0.21, Forrest 0.08, Jota 0.05 and Johnston 0.04.


Leading the way for Post Shot xG was Abada on 0.85, followed then by Kyogo on 0.61, Jota on 0.46, Haksabanovic on 0.15 and then O'Riley on 0.14.


Kyogo's goal was his 34th of the season while Abada's and Jota's goals were their 13th and 15th of the season.


O'Riley's assist was his 13th of the season and Abada's assist was his 8th.





Sponsored by The Green Machine '67








https://www.facebook.com/greenmachine67




Celtic Trends 🍀📈⚽️



Tony@CelticTrends.com

113 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page